Aluminium is the most valuable and cost-effective household waste stream to recycle. Recycling aluminium results in 95% energy and emissions savings and the metal can be recycled indefinitely, without loss of properties.
- Aluminium extraction and production uses vast amounts of energy and materials that are discarded during the mining process.
- 4 tonnes of bauxite contains 2 tonnes of alumina which yields 1 tonne of aluminium. Recycling 1 Kg of aluminium saves 4 Kg of chemical products and 14 kW of electricity (recyclenow.com)
Below we have some information about two new and innovative schemes to reduce and recycle aluminium & steel can waste.
The new and innovative PouchLink vending system from the Green Drinks Company mixes & packages water-based cold drinks in seconds. As well as the huge environmental benefits the machine provides, over 40 different drinks have been developed, which are all healthy. There is even a range of drinks which will provide one of your five a day.
The unique linked pouches are supplied in easy-load spools reducing the time, energy and cost spent transporting and filling vending machines with cans, bottles and cartons. A conventional machine will hold 200-400 cans or bottles compared to the PouchLink which holds 1000 pouches.
- Uses up to 80% less energy than conventional cold drinks vendors
- Environmentally friendly packaging that uses up to 75% less plastic in production than rigid containers of a similar size
- Different size & shape pouch options
- Up to 8 selections plus filtered water
- Max power consumption 750W with 200W energy saving mode to switch off the chiller and compressor
- Self flushing mixing system requires sanitising only once every few weeks
Every Can Counts
Launched in Oct 2008, Every Can Counts is a unique partnership between manufacturers of drinks cans, the aluminium and steel packaging manufacturers and reprocessors and the Waste and Resources Action Programme (WRAP) which aims to improve recycling rates of the 42 000 tonnes of aluminium and steel cans used outside the home every year. Initially focused on the West Midlands the campaign is now up and running in over 150 organisations with some rolling out nationwide schemes.
The clever Every Can Counts crusher
This safe, fun-to-use machine crushes and stores drinks cans for recycling. It is ideal for vending and canteen areas and public spaces either indoors or outdoors.
The can crusher is easily manually operated and allows up to five times as many cans to be stored in the bin. The bin is easy to empty and clean and will only hold drinks cans which reduces the risk of cross-contamination.
Available to buy or rent!
Bournemouth Council has recently installed six Every Can Counts outdoor can crushers in an effort to increase recycling of the 160 tonnes of rubbish generated on the seafront every year.
How does recycling aluminium help combat climate change?
As mentioned earlier recycling aluminium results in huge energy and emissions savings, including CO2.
Figures from a household waste study by the Open University for DEFRA and WRAP ‘Environmental Benefits of Recycling’ highlight the huge relative CO2 savings from recycling Aluminium compared to other common household waste streams. High CO2 savings can also be achieved through recycling biodegradable waste streams such as garden waste, paper and putrescible waste, where CO2 and methane are emitted during decomposition.